Yesterday I installed the evaluation version to try before committing to buy. I set up a tracking task and set the schedule to multiple times per day. I have returned to my PC today (it never gets turned off) and the task didn’t run and against Schedule it says n/a. When I try and modify that task or create a new one it says “No Schedule” and no options are available in the drop down. If I try and access Schedules via the Tools menu I get:-
“An error occurred when accessing the tracking schedules. This could be caused by lack of access rights.”
I have tried adding my password in the Logon information screen in Options/Scheduling but that makes no difference. I am a domain admin so have complete rights to the PC.
Today, I tried something — don’t know if it will work. With Copernic Agent Professional, I right-clicked on the name of the program file in the start menu of my Win7 64-bit machine. I clicked “run as administrator” and was able to schedule a task. Let’s hope!!!